Friday, February 12, 2010

"Excuse me..."

Click, click, click. The echo of high heels tapping across ceramic tile pulls me from a sound sleep. The faint scent of sugared vanilla floats on the air. I blink, look around, don’t see anyone and try to go back to sleep.

“Excuse me?” Someone pries my eyelids open – from the inside. “Could you wake up a minute? We need to talk.”

I hate this. Why do my characters always need to talk at 3 a.m? I roll over on my side. “Can’t this wait until morning?”

“No, actually, it can’t.”

Heavy sigh from me. “Ok, Kristen, what is it that can’t wait another three hours?”

“It’s that man. That cowboy. I heard what he said about me yesterday. About me hogging all the attention. Just who does he think he is?”

I groan. You’ve got to be kidding me. My children are grown. I shouldn’t have to deal with this kind of thing anymore. Why do I have to deal with jealous characters? “I don’t know, Kristen. A Texas Ranger, maybe.”

She stomps her foot causing a sharp pain to shoot through my head. “I know what he is. Who does he think he is? I can’t help it if he had a horrible childhood. Why should he take it out on me? I can’t remember my childhood.”

“Kristen, please.” Why am I always begging these people who live in my head to leave me alone? “It’s 3 a.m. I need my sleep.”

“Fine. You have time for him but you never have time for me. I see how it is.” She flounces back to whatever room in my brain where she hides. Blam! The door slams sending another wave of throbbing agony through my skull.

Guess I’ll get up, take some ibuprofen and write. Maybe when I finish this novel they will go away and let me sleep.

Happy writing!

6 comments:

  1. Very, very annoying. It's not any better when they're armed. :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Characters are like children - it's when they're quiet that you need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe Glenda, this is great! Mine like to insist that they don't deserve to die. Then I explain to them that, though I love them, they sort of *have* to die. Not fun... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My characters never actually die. They keep reappearing in other stories or they demand prequels if I actually kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good laugh. This time it's twice as genuine because it's true of all writers' relationships with their characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through another one and this post made me giggle. My characters are pushy like that, too!

    ReplyDelete